Sunday, December 16, 2007

Winter Time

Throughout my book, The Glass Castle, the Walls family continues to live in all these places in the west like California and Nevada and Utah. For me, life has been the opposite. I grew up In Georgia and Minnesota and so the east coast is more familiar to me. The thing that I think about sometimes when reading is that they love living in the desert and in the hottest places in the country. They love the sand and hot climate so have never experienced the snow and cold of Minnesota this time of year. I think of back when I lived in Georgia without the cold winters and kind of always hoped I would be able to experience it one day but the Walls havent and dont seem like they want to either. The kids have fun exploring the desert and finding scorpions and snakes. In Minnesota the snow right now kids live a completely different way and decide to explore the snow piles and make forts out of the white fluffy powder. I think if I were one of the kids in Jeanette's family, I would be begging them to move to the cold weather. I would hate moving to desert after desert but they seem to like it just as much as I like the snow. I find it funny how kids with very similar back rounds can find adventure, happiness, and joy in the most different things.

No comments: