Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving break

On my thanksgiving break, we took a long car trip all the way down to Huntly, IL. Since I still had a cold we decided to skip the plane ride and take the journey in a maroon honda odessy through the fields of corn and soybeans. As we are driving through, there is a lot of time for mindless thinking and nothingness so i couldnt help but to think about Jeanette and her family living without a home, under the stars. On the way to Illinois there are many open fields and it reminded me of the way she described there new home. I was thinking about how cold it was at this time of year and how I dont think I could survive in such harsh conditions. The walls family must have had to deal with all of that and more. One other thing I thought about was on Thursday evening, my family got together and had a big feast for thanksgiving. After reading, I realized that their family probably wouldnt be able to have the fun and joy of eating a big meal baked my their moms and grandmas. Jeanette had cooked her own food while at home so imagine how life on the road was. No stoves and ovens to bake delicious pumpkin pie and turkey with. Its very humbling to think about those less fortunant than you on those days of the year when we have so much given to us.

No comments: